Become A Member
Learn how your membership helps protect our rivers and rights of use.
Learn More About River Law
Frequently Asked Questions »
FAQs about federal law regarding public ownership, use, and conservation of rivers
Why River Rights? »
NOR is the organization that focuses on achieving public-trust ownership of rivers, conserving rivers through public-trust ownership, and ensuring the public's legal rights to enjoy rivers
Exciting Holiday Happenings at NOR!
The eventful and exciting holiday season is in full swing at NOR!
Free book sample
First, we are thrilled to announce a free sample of the book, Public Rights on Rivers: Canoeing, kayaking, rafting, fishing, and fowling rights, river conservation and water rights, is now available for download. Click here to download your free pdf sample. It can also be downloaded from the book's info page. The book sample is 23 pages long, and discusses the following:
- The table of contents and the types of questions the book answers
- Ancient uses of rivers
- River law in ancient times
- River uses in North America
- River law in ancient North America
- River uses in colonial America
- The founding principles of American river law
- River uses in the early 1800s
- The development of river law in the early 1800s
The sample helps set the progression of river uses and law through history, and sets the stage for Supreme Court cases and rulings that follow. The rest of the book focuses on the application of the law, including basic principles of water and river law, which rivers are navigable for which purposes, public recreation rights on rivers, and the role of state law.
Also, we are excited to announce two holiday specials. The first is a Holiday Membership for $45. The membership includes everything that comes with a basic membership, as well as the first run of the PRINTED copy of the book, Public Rights on Rivers, and the cherry on top: a NOR t-shirt! This membership can be purchased for yourself or some other lucky person.
The second special is the Holiday Gift Bundle for $30. This includes the first run of the PRINTED copy of the book, Public Rights on Rivers, and a NOR t-shirt.
These two holiday specials are perfect gifts for friends and family who love rivers, and you get to support a great cause too! Give the gift of knowing about the “forever free” navigable rivers of the US. These holiday specials won’t last long, so get them while you can! Specials will be available through January 3, 2014.
From the NOR family to you, we wish you a blessed holiday season. Stay tuned for exciting new information and resources from NOR!
Got something to say?This thread has been closed from taking new comments.
Recent Blog Posts
- CURRENTS 71: Help prevent conflict about river rights in New Mexico and other states
- CURRENTS 70: Negotiating to improve river access
- Use the new book and poster to restore your rights on rivers everywhere
- Freedom to use rivers
- Why are public rights on rivers an issue?
- What are you buying when you buy riverfront property?
- River Law Info Packets
- Ringing in the New Year
- Year-End Giving: How you can help make a difference in 2014
- Exciting Holiday Happenings at NOR!
- A fisherman’s story: How NOR materials helped get river rights acknowledged
- NEW POSTERS ABOUT PUBLIC RIGHTS ON RIVERS
- A private river: Fantasy or reality?
- The government shutdown: River rights being wrongfully denied
- Social Media Competition
- Protect your rights to recreate on rivers: Help prevent littering!
- Hot topic: Is it a “taking” of private property for the public to use rivers?
- New Book, New Website!